- Even the CIA and NSA Use Ad Blockers to Stay Safe Online
Plus: The ransomware scourge continues, a massive botnet gets wounded, and more of the week’s top security news….
- Hiking 101: Everything You Need to Head for the Hills
From backpacks to boxer briefs, we have the complete rundown on everything you need to stay warm, safe and fed on your next hike….
- Valley Fever Is Spreading Through a Hotter, Drier Western US
Researchers haven’t pinned down exactly what’s behind the rise of the deadly fungal disease. But one thing is nearly certain: Climate change plays a role….
- Content Creators are Recreating Homelessness in The Sims
“Rags-to-Riches” is just one of the challenges that YouTubers undertake in their constant battle with the algorithm for viewers’ attention….
- The 17 Best Weekend Deals on Phones, Face Masks, and Keyboards
A new season is a perfect excuse to upgrade old MacBooks, earbuds, and streaming sticks….
- 10 Awesome Management Games for Armchair Tycoons
These building- and resource-based simulations are perfect for single-player fun and relaxation….
- Sci-Fi Can Help Teach Us About Political Theory
Books by writers like Aldous Huxley and Ursula K. Le Guin can help readers understand scenarios they may not consider otherwise….
- A 3D-Printed Chicken Breast Was Cooked With Frickin’ Lasers
Engineers at Columbia University developed a system that can simultaneously produce and heat food with precision….
- A New Book Chronicles the Art of the Thiel
Plus: Inside an early Facebook funding meeting, how units of measurement got so messed up, and a mission for mankind….
- Please, No More Tiger King
Netflix just announced the docuseries is getting a second season. But … why?…
- ‘The Internet Remains Undefeated’ Must Be Defeated
The classic comment and caption has become a meme in its own right. Harmless as it may seem, a close study reveals dark undertones….
- Twisty Laptops, Bendy Phones: Microsoft Bets Big on Design
This week, we look at the new Surface hardware and try to determine how much experimentation your workflow can withstand….
- Portrait of Spot the Robot Descending a Staircase
A new exhibit by classical portrait painter Agnieska Pilat seeks to bring out the “essence” of her most recent sitters: Boston Dynamics’ Spot and Atlas….
- Could the Moon Actually Crash Toward Earth?
The trailer for the film Moonfall shows our satellite getting too close for comfort. Here are the physics of what it would take to push the moon out of orbit…
- How to Switch iPhones Without Losing a Thing
Everything you need to know to successfully transfer your contacts, music, photos, and apps from one iOS device to another….
- Advocates Struggle to Control Police Use of Surveillance Tech
A key backer of a 2018 Oakland law to rein in tools like automated license plate readers says the city is not following the rules….
- The Best iPhone 13 Deals—and Which Model to Pick
Get those Apple Wallets ready. From the Mini to the Pro Max, we break down all your options….
- First-Gen College Grads Face More Hurdles in the Job Market
Students whose parents didn’t go to college often work instead of joining extracurricular activities, and can lag peers on skills like résumé writing….
- iPhone 13 & Apple Watch: How to buy, price, features and specs
- A New Formula May Help Black Patients’ Access to Kidney Care
The prior algorithm adjusted calculations for Black patients—making it harder for them to qualify for transplants and other treatments….