- Apple’s Lockdown Mode Aims to Counter Spyware Threats
Starting with iOS 16, people who are at risk of being targeted with spyware will have some much-needed help….
- 14 Early Amazon Prime Day Deals on Google Hardware
If you prefer Google Assistant and the Nest ecosystem, there’s a discount here for you….
- This Covid-19 Rapid Test Hit Its Lowest Price Ever on Amazon
Stock up with these iHealth at-home antigen tests….
- How to Avoid the Worst Instagram Scams
Fake sellers. Competitions. Crypto cons. There are plenty of grifts on the platform, but you don’t have to get sucked in….
- The Best USB-C Cables for Your Phone, Tablet, or Laptop
Unravel the tangled world of cords and find the ones you need to charge your gadgets and transfer data….
- The Infamous 1972 Report That Warned of Civilization’s Collapse
The Limits to Growth argued that rampant pollution and resource extraction were pushing Earth to the brink. How does it hold up 50 years later?…
- Permanent Birth Control Is in Demand in the US—but Hard to Get
After the Supreme Court’s Dobbs ruling, more people are seeking to get their tubes tied—assuming they can find a sympathetic doctor….
- Why Some Video Game Companies Are Staying Silent on Abortion
Following the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe, many in the industry piped up. But for Texas studios, the potential for legal retaliation looms….
- The Digital Divide Is Coming for You
More services are going online-only—catching more people on the wrong side of a widening gulf….
- Autonomous Drones Could Soon Run the UK’s Energy Grid
The National Grid is testing computer-manned drones that can save millions in maintenance work….
- Crypto’s Free Rein May Be Coming to a Close
Lawmakers in the US and Europe are considering ways to regulate crypto and crack down on money-laundering and other illicit activities….
- Transport Apps Promised to Eliminate Friction. But at What Cost?
Cities of the future will likely be even more segregated by income, hostile to pedestrians, and designed to line the pockets of tech giants….
- How Landsat Chronicled 50 Years on a Changing, Fiery Planet
The pioneering satellite program has provided the longest continuous document of how fire, global warming, and humanity are remaking our world….
- Tesla loses electric car crown to Chinese rival backed by Warren Buffett
- End-to-End Encryption’s Central Role in Modern Self-Defense
With abortion set to be criminalized in more than half the US, encryption has never been more important for protection—and civil disobedience….
- Genetic Screening Now Lets Parents Pick the Healthiest Embryos
Those using IVF can see which embryo is least likely to develop cancer and other diseases. But can protecting your child slip into playing God?…
- Climate Change Breaks Plant Immune Systems. Can They Be Rebooted?
When temperatures rise, plants mysteriously lose their ability to defend against invading pathogens—but there may be a fix….
- Instagram Keeps Showing Me Children’s Tragedies
After I became a parent, my social media feeds filled up with videos of kids who are sick or have died. Why couldn’t I look away?…
- The 36 Best Fourth of July Deals on Kitchen Gizmos and Tech
Independence Day is here, and so are the savings. We’ve rounded up plenty of sales on air purifiers, office chairs, massage guns, and more….
- Sharing Music Rescued My Relationship With My Teenager
I texted her Joni Mitchell, she sent me songs of her own. Slowly, my daughter began to open up to me again….