- Stephen Lawrence case: Jamie Acourt to be freed in November
Jamie Acourt’s sentence will be reactivated unless he starts paying back £90K he made in a drugs deal.
- Reading flats fire: Hakeem Kigundu jailed for double-murder
Hakeem Kigundu is sentenced to life for starting the huge blaze at a block in Reading last year.
- Trade minister Conor Burns sacked after misconduct claim
Mr Burns has also had the Tory party whip removed following allegations of inappropriate behaviour.
- Police officers face probe over ‘grossly offensive’ WhatsApp messages
A criminal investigation is launched into messages allegedly shared by officers in a WhatsApp group.
- Man armed with knife shot dead by police in Derby
Armed officers shot the man in the secure car park of a police station in Derby.
- Moors Murders: Search for Keith Bennett ends with no evidence found
Police end a search for Keith Bennett’s body after finding no sign of human remains at the scene.
- Covid: Protect elderly from rising virus levels in UK
With cases on the up, people who feel unwell are advised to avoid vulnerable relatives as a precaution.
- Nicola Sturgeon says lack of contact from Liz Truss ‘absurd’
The SNP leader says she has still not had a phone call from Liz Truss a month after she became PM.
- Public won’t be told to cut energy use after Truss objects
A minister denies a full plan was blocked by Liz Truss’s office and insists energy supplies are secure.
- Record excess deaths in UK’s heatwave summer
With record-breaking temperatures, there were around 3,000 more deaths than usual in England and Wales.
- Mortgage rate rises set to put pressure on house prices, says Halifax
The Halifax says higher mortgage costs could put “significant downward pressure” on the market.
- Nicola Sturgeon issues warning over winter energy usage
The FM has said people should be “sensible” after the National Grid warned of possible blackouts.
- Train strikes: Passengers told to avoid travel on Saturday
The latest strike means only one in five trains will run, with services starting late and finishing early.
- Gateshead stabbing: Boy charged with Tomasz Oleszak murder
The teenager is due in court later charged with the murder of Tomasz Oleszak, 14, in Gateshead.
- Avanti West Coast told to drastically improve rail services
The train operator is given a short-term extension to continue running services on the west coast mainline.
- Molly Russell inquest: Family urges action on harmful content
Molly Russell’s father says “there is no time for delay” in stopping children seeing harmful content.
- Chris Heaton-Harris to host Irish ministers in London talks
Chris Heaton-Harris and Simon Coveney will meet at the British-Irish Intergovernmental Conference.
- Social care: ‘Jo’s care will cost £1.5k a week – the system is broken’
A BBC poll reveals people’s worries about social care. So what is the new government going to do?
- The Bradford wrestling church mixing sermons with suplexes
Baptisms and body slams are all part of a day’s work for one church which aims to help young people.
- Big Butterfly Count: Sightings worryingly low, say UK conservationists
Conservationists say they expected this year’s warm summer to be a much better one for butterflies.